Jordan Rubin, co-founder and CEO of the brand, said the plan will be carried out on a 110-acre flagship property in Tennessee Rubin, and co-founder Dr. Josh Ax have named the Center for Regenerative Agriculture and Sustainability. Also involved is the company’s older 4,000 acre property in Missouri, known as Beyond Organic Ranch and Heal The Planet Farm, which grows some of the brand’s ingredients.
Ancient Nutrition was founded more than six years ago and is built on multiple pillars, said Rubin. This includes the company’s basic bone broth protein products. The company also offers other protein products, including a full line of collagen formulas. Probiotics, multivitamins, hemp / CBD products, a new range of herbs and mushrooms as well as essential oils round off the product list.
Time to give something back
The brand has been on a strong growth curve in recent years and reportedly had annual sales of more than $ 100 million. With this success, Rubin, who also founded the well-known Garden of Life brand, said it was time to give something back to the planet from which he draws his formulation wisdom.
“I’ve been in this industry for 24 years now. I’ve talked a lot about the key elements that are changing our diet and our world. I even see big companies now throwing out data when it becomes carbon neutral, ”said Rubin.
“We believe we are at a tipping point where consumers want to put their money into brands with this type of engagement,” he added.
Rubin and Ax called their plan the RANCH project, which stands for Regenerative Agriculture, Food and Climate Health. Partners hope to achieve the following by 2024:
- Be carbon negative through initiatives for regenerative agriculture and the support of compensation payments
- Plant a million food-grade trees, bushes, vines, and shrubs
- Reduce the production and waste of plastic and waste by 25% while using more sustainable solutions for packaging and marketing materials
- Start a major seed saving initiative for future-proof regenerative agriculture by collecting and storing seeds from each harvest on the company’s farm, as well as collecting food waste and seeds from local organizations that divert it from the landfill
- Supporting the globally changing non-profit Mully Children’s Family, which provides shelter and education to disadvantaged children in Kenya while planting trees to combat climate change.
For profit companies that are used to drive change
In addition to donating to nonprofits, Rubin said an integral part of the plan is for the company to remodel its own floor with its own employees. Rubin said he wanted everyone who works in the company to feel like they were part of the change.
“Donating is important, but it’s easy. I wanted every employee to feel like they were part of something bigger than themselves. We planted 30,000 trees on Wednesday and Thursday last week. I want them to feel like they are part of an amazing destination, ”said Rubin.
Rubin said the plan to show how the standard on farmland works in the US could be changed by committing to regenerative farming and animal husbandry practices.
“I believe that the key to improving the health of the environment and the soil is in a multicultural style of farming. We have a holistic grazing program that includes multiple types of ruminants such as sheep, cows and water buffalo, and we use ducks for pest control, ”he said.
In addition to farming plans, the brand is rethinking how it will package its products, Rubin said. The company claims to be working with the Rodale Institute, Cornell University and the Climate Collaborative on the project.